Someone once said, “decide the kind of life you want and then say no to everything else that isn’t that.” It sounds really tempting, but I wish it were that easy.
Life can be overwhelming.
We often feel stuck in a time loop doing the same things over and over, daily. Wake up, go to work, kids, cook…it may seem like a never-ending cycle.
And if you find yourself frustrated or slipping into depressive moments from time to time, it may be time to evaluate your life and make some changes. They can be as big as changing or creating new habits, or as small as doing something you enjoy once per day.
We don’t always get what we want in life, and things don’t always go the way we envision. But for the most part, the quality of our life is determined by our personal habits, and our responses to situations.
As a busy working mom of 2 girls, I try to streamline my life as best as possible. I put bills on auto-pay, I subscribe to certain things on Amazon so I can get them without forgetting, I use a planner to write all my lists and dates, and I block time to do things when I am most productive. This helps me stay on top of things and reduce unnecessary stress so I can enjoy and stay in the moment more.
Today I will share some specific simple things you can do to have a better quality of life. Most of them may seem like common-sense but if you do several of them on a daily basis, you will see that it makes a big difference in your life. The goal is to reduce unnecessary stress and frustration, and to do things that create a better quality of life.
25 Simple Ways to have a Better Quality of Life
1. Reduce multi-tasking, focus on single tasks at a time. This may be very difficult for some of you, but research suggests that multitasking reduces cognitive function and makes you tired faster. Therefore, do one thing at a time.
2. Make time for self-care. Whether it’s getting your nails done, or taking a stroll for some fresh air, do something for you, if not daily then as often as possible.
3. Delegate house chores to a specific day. For example, Fridays you vacuum and dust, Sunday is laundry, Saturday could be kitchen cleaning day. This way you do not overwhelm yourself doing everything at once.
4. Use a planner, for everything! Appointments, to-do-lists, goals, events, reminders, everything. Keep it all in a planner.
5. Keep plastic bags and paper towel/wipes in your car for accidents, spills, and trash. This is super handy if you have kids!
6. Learn to say no more often. Be it your job, or personal commitments, say no when you feel you have a lot on your plate already. You do not need to make everyone happy by making time for everyone at the expense of yourself.
7. Watch less tv – it tires you; try listening to podcasts or music when you are wanting to relax or just be.
8. Do light yoga, meditation, or even just some deep breathing exercises daily. You don’t need anything special to do prayanam; you can sit or just walk and breath deeply. Trust me, you see instant results from it!
9. Keep a bottle of water with you all the time- if helps you keep full and reduces bad food choices.
10. Turn off all notifications on your cell phone or better yet, leave it to charge in the next room and forget about it for a while.
11. Play with your kids. It’s therapy! The pile of dishes can wait; sit and color or play dress up or tag with your little ones. It counts as quality time with them and you feel so much better.
12. Get enough sleep every night. Research suggests that getting 6 hours of sleep per night is as bad as getting none. So wrap up your evening quickly and get some Zzzs instead of browsing online or watching tv.
13. Drink 1 glass of lemon water daily. Make it a norm and not some special thing you have to do because lemon water helps detox, cleanses your stomach, helps your skin, prevents constipation, and is an excellent source of Vitamin C.
14. Visit the local farmers market weekly. You can get healthy vegetables and fresh flowers there and it can be a fun outing as well.
15. Start the day with a shower and dress up daily. This goes for us work-from-home folks who love to stay in PJs all day. Early morning shower and getting dressed properly boosts motivation, enhances clarity, and makes your productive.
16. Create healthy habits that you can stick to. It can be as small as making your bed and opening your windows daily or writing in your gratitude journal, the habits we form encourage us to make positive changes in our lives. Here is a list of 203 healthy habits to choose from.
17. Prepare clothes and lunch for work the night before.
18. Designate space for everything.
19. Message a friend or a family member daily, even if it’s just for a few minutes.
20. Eat vitamins. I recently got these One A Day Women’s vitamins and it has biotin in it. And TRUST ME, my nails grew so much in just 4 uses. I can’t wait till I start seeing results on my postpartum hair!
21. Turn off all electronics a few hours before bedtime. You get better sleep, you are more productive, less tired, and happier.
22. Wash your sheets and pillowcases weekly if not every few days.
23. Organize under your bathroom sink to make everything reachable and visible to avoid chaos and you buying things you didn’t know you already had. 🙂 Check out this expandable under the sink storage – I love it!!!
24. Create age appropriate skin care routines.
25. Have more not-busy days. 🙂
Share some of your tips to make life easier and better.